How to Recharge a Window Air Conditioner? – A Proper Guide
Is your window air conditioner working okay? Is the cooling fine?
One of the most common issues with air conditioners is the cooling. The AC suddenly stops cooling, or the cooling reduces significantly. This is because the coolant, mostly Freon, has perished and the AC needs to be recharged immediately.
Can you recharge a window air conditioner?
Yes, you can recharge a window air conditioner, but we recommend that you do it only if you understand the mechanism of an AC. While DIY projects are a great way to save money, if you are not well-versed with the working of an AC, things may drastically go wrong.
Why is it so important, you ask? The biggest reason is that Freon is toxic and you need to follow a number of safety routines to handle it. This is why recharging a window air conditioner is legally a licensed professional’s job. You cannot do it yourself unless you have the license to do so.
If the law doesn’t abide you and you are confident that you can do it, go for it! Freon kits, which are available on the market, come with instructions, which you must follow very seriously.
How to Recharge a Window Air Conditioner?
Here is a step-wise guide on how to add Freon to window AC unit:
- Switch off the mains and detach the AC from the window. Make sure the work area is protected with a rag so that the AC is not directly in contact with the floor.
- Check to see if there’s any leakage. Go through the owner’s manual to understand how to open the unit and follow every step carefully. If you find any leaks, you should work towards fixing them before going further. If there are no leaks, you move to the next step of adding the Freon or the recommended coolant.
- Now, go through the tools that the Freon kit has in it and use the right tool to find the compressor. You will see two lines there. Take the service valve and attach it to one line, following the manual carefully. The other line will be attached to the tap valve.
- Now, both these attached valves must attach to the Freon’s container. We can’t say this enough – be very careful! The kit will have a detailed diagram and structure to help you through this.
- Once you are sure that you attached everything tightly, switch the AC on at its highest power.
- As you do this, the unit will start getting recharged. The manual will tell you how much Freon needs to be taken in. Once it reaches that value, switch it off, and unplug it.
- Cautiously, remove the valves and you are done.
If at any given point in time, you are not sure about a step or are worried that something may go wrong, you should stop and reach out to a professional. Don’t stop yourself from doing so because seeking professional help is leaps and bounds wiser than jeopardizing your safety and the health of your AC unit.
Any questions? Feel free to ask us through comments!